Raider Project Climbing Retreat
The Raider Project Climbing Retreat is a weekend outdoor rock climbing trip offered to veterans who are working through the rigors associated with transition out of the service. Previous trips have included top rope climbing of beautiful Windgate Sandstone face and crack climbs. We’ll be teaching the basics of rope work, climbing techniques, and belaying. There will be camping, hiking, climbing, and rappelling.
This is a wonderful chance to give veterans the opportunity to unwind, build camaraderie and work together for a common goal.
THE PLAN (2017)
WE WILL BE FLYING INTO CHARLESTON, WV. THEN, WE WILL DRIVE TO THE NEW RIVER GORGE CLIMBING AREA 1 HR EAST.
Sept 1 Travel to NRG Campsite
Sept 2 Hike and climb all day.
Sept 3 Hike and White Water Rafting
Sept 4 Fly out from Charleston.
GEAR – WE WILL PROVIDE:
(10) sleeping bags – 20 degree bags
(10) sleep pads
(5) Backpacking (camping) Packages – includes
- 2 person tent
- MSR Stove w/ fuel
- cooking set
(10) Rock Climbing packages – includes
- climbing harness
- climbing shoes
(3) 5 gallon water jugs.
- Backpack for your weekend kit.
- Camelbak (or a container they can hike water with for the day)
- At least one extra set of clean clothes (extra socks)
- Lip balm (preferable with UV protection)
- Small towel
- Very light jacket in case the nights are cool
- Camera (optional)
- Small pillow
- Flip flops or your choice of camp shoes.
- Wet wipes